Tuesday 24 May 2016

Journey to ACQ: Dam Son

It was 22 May 2016, the day of the Asia Championship Qualifiers 2016 Singapore.
(In deep voice): My name is Dam Son  
And this is my story...


Waking up at 6.00 am, I met up with Ken Sir at Punggol MRT station and took the train to Esplanade.

Upon reaching, we were all thinking only about breakfast. Hunger strikes us in the morning. Since most shops were closed as it was still early, we met up with K-Xavage and reluctantly went to MacDonald's to grab a bite. GeoTheBacon soon joined us as we ate our breakfast. We didn't wait for anyone else (*cough* Traveler of The Burning Herpes) as he was late. Thus, we ordered take-away for him.

Going to the entrance of the convention room, we passed Traveler of the Burning Herpes his breakfast and so, the members of the Dueling Cancer group had gathered. While waiting for the convention room to be opened, we were busy checking our deck list helping Traveler of The Burning Herpes unsleeve his deck as it didn't fulfill the tournament regulations.


ACQ 2016
132 Players, 5 Round Swiss with a Top 26 Cut Off.
Format: Advanced Format
Deck: Nekroz,Saffira with Cyber Angels.

Round 1 D/D/D OXX

Game 1 Win

My opponent won the dice roll and chose to start first. Using Dark Contract with the Gate to search for D/D Swirl Slime, he fused D/D Swirl Slime with D/D Necro Slime to summon D/D/D Oracle King D'Ark and ended his turn. I opened with a rather nice hand, Having a Manju of the Ten Thousand Hands, Nekroz of Unicore, Saffira, Queen of Dragons, Hymn of Light , Nekroz of Clausolas and a Cyber Angel - Idaten. I summoned Manju of the Ten Thousand Hands which was unfortunately negated by his Effect Veiler. Using Nekroz of Clausolas to add Nekroz Kaleidoscope which was used to summon Nekroz of Unicore by sending Elder Entity N'tss to the grave, I was able to destroy D/D/D Oracle King D'Ark. I then carried on and summoned Saffira, Queen of Dragons by tributing Cyber Angel - Idaten. With Cyber Angel - Idaten's effect, all my ritual monsters on the field gain a permanent boost of 1000 ATK and DEF! Since my opponent had an open field, he scooped his game. I sided in my Twin Twisters, Ghost Reaper & Winter Cherries and Maxx "C".

Game 2 Lose

There is really nothing much to say about this game. Opponent started first and had a field with Crystal Wing Synchro Dragon and D/D/D Hexblood King Siegfried. To top it all off, he activated Eradicator Epidemic Virus during my turn, which killed me as a ritual deck. Just before I scooped my game 2, time was called. I hope this would be advantageous for me as D/D/D burns their own lifepoints rather quickly.

Game 3 Lose

......Opponent had a field of D/D/D Oracle King D'Ark, D/D/D Flame King GenghisFormula Synchron and a set card. During my turn, Formula Synchron activated its effect but was stopped by my Book of Eclipse. I was so confident to be able to win against him. I summoned Senju of the Thousand Hands and searched for Nekroz Kaleidoscope. Sigh...when I activated Nekroz Kaleidoscope, he flipped open Vanity's Emptiness which sealed my fate.

Ken Sir: Guess you can say that trap..... emptied your chances of winning.

Round 2 Odd-Eyes OO

Game 1 Win

My opponent went first but seems to have a very bad hand. Placing Odd-Eyes Pendulum Dragon on the pendulum scale, he set a card and end his turn, adding Performapal Odd-Eyes Unicorn to his hand. I activated my Harpie's Feather Duster to destroy his only backrow which was Bottomless Trap Hole. Since he had an open field, I proceeded to OTK him.

Game 2 Win

Game 2 was hilarious. He opted to start first and opened with a terrible hand again. Placing Majespecter Unicorn - Kirin on the pendulum scale and setting 1 card, he ended his turn. I again drew into a Harpie's Feather Duster which unfortunately was negated by Starlight Road allowing him to summon Stardust Dragon. However, I also happened to draw into Dark Hole, which was used to bait his Stardust Dragon to use his effect to flee. Once again since he had an open field, I proceeded to OTK him. All I could say was that luck was really on my side in this round! XD

Round 3 Dark Magicians Secret Village of The Spellcasters Turbo XOX

Game 1 Lose

I will try to keep this as snappy as possible. My opponent summoned Magician's Rod and activated Secret Village of the Spellcasters. Looking at my hand, I scooped. Sided in Vector Pendulum, the Dracoverlord only because his attack is 1850, higher than Magician's Rod. A rather desperate move.

Game 2 Win

Since I was starting first, I quickly established a field of Traptrix Rafflesia and Nekroz of Brionac with the Djinn-Lock. My opponent was unable to break through my field as his main card Dark Magical Circle was destroyed by my Ghost Ogre and Snow Rabbit. He then conceded and we headed into the last game.

Game 3 Lose
At Game 3, I was rather disadvantaged as my opponent was starting first. My opponent summoned Kycoo the Ghost Destroyer, activated Secret Village of the Spellcasters, set 3 cards and ended his turn. I just kept setting cards over and over again, hoping to draw any of my outs to his field. As my life points was slowly dwindling, I was finally defeated at turn 4. I was salty over all the bad match-ups I was against.
Round 4 Blue-Eyes OXO

Game 1 Win
I won the dice roll and this time, I chose to start first in case of any lock down I might find myself in. Luckily I drew into Djinn Releaser of Rituals and used Nekroz of Clausolas to Djinn-Lock my opponent. My opponent then conceded and kindly told me that his deck have no outs to Djinn-Lock and did not want to reveal his deck. I sided in Maxx "C" as I'm very certain I'm starting second.

Game 2 Lose
Just like I thought, I started second. However it did not do me any good as my opponent summoned Blue-Eyes Alternative White Dragon which I couldn't chain my Maxx "C" to as its summon does not start a chain. My opponent then set a card and ended his turn. During my standby phase, my opponent activated Vanity's Emptiness . Although I could tell he misplayed, I couldn't do anything against that massive beatstick and proceeded to Game 3. Swapped Maxx "C" for Ghost Reaper & Winter Cherries and Twin Twisters and D/D/D Raging King Genghis for Blue-Eyes Spirit Dragon

Game 3 Win
One of the best duels for the day! My opponent explained to me that he was a returning player and we started to chat here and there. The final round then transitioned into a casual game. My opponent was at a disadvantage as he had quite a little experience with the new cards. He revealed Blue-Eyes Alternative White Dragon and normal summoned The White Stone of Legend. Before he could synchro summon, I activated Ghost Reaper & Winter Cherries to banish his Blue-Eyes Spirit Dragon. Having no choice, he synchro summoned into Azure-Eyes Silver Dragon and ended his turn. Since Azure-Eyes protects him from being targeted or destroyed by card effects, used Nekroz of Trishula to banish Azure-Eyes as Trishula doesn't target. My opponent then bricked when he drew into a third Blue-Eyes White Dragon and conceded!

Final Round Super Quantum XX

Game 1 Lose

Now this game was just depressing. My opponent started off with Emergency Teleport to summon Super Quantum Blue Layer to search for Super Quantum Green Layer. He then summoned the latter to special summon Super Quantum Red Layer. With all three Layers on the field, he activated the field spell Super Quantal Mech Ship Magnacarrier. At first I was rather relaxed as he only had 2 cards in his hand and required a third one to summon his boss monster. My opponent discarded The Phantom Knights of Ancient Cloak to rank-up his Blue Layer using his field spell. Using Ancient Cloak's effect to add The Phantom Knights of Silent Boots, he successfully summoned Super Quantal Mech King Great Magnus. I scooped as I possessed no outs to that card. Sided in 3 Maxx "C" for Machine Angel Ritual and 2 Cyber Angel Benten.

Game 2 Lose

I started first and bricked by drawing into 2 Maxx "C" and 3 other Ritual Spells, how fun. I set my Kaleidoscope and ended my turn. My opponent summoned Super Quantal Fairy Alphan and used his effects to reveal the 3 Layers and let me randomly select one to be special summoned. I threw a Maxx "C" and my opponent told me openly that I better not pick the Green Layer. Unfortunately, I had picked Green Layer and my opponent ignored the fact that Maxx "C" was in effect and eventually summoned King Magnus again. Just like the previous game, I was very salty but having no other choice, I scooped and conceded the game. Thus a rather anti-climatic end to my game and day.

Conclusion


Today's deck was a bit of a rash as I was supposed to play pure Nekroz but there wasn't much progress when I was on a losing streak. Which was the main reason for me to change build. I wouldn't say I regretted it or  the "If only I used pure Nekroz......"crap. It was my choice to change build. Fortunately, among all of us in the Dueling Cancer Group, GeoTheBacon made it for the top 26 cut off! Congratulations!

This is the end for my very blog post. Hope everyone enjoyed it!
Signing off,

Dam Son





No comments:

Post a Comment