Sunday 3 April 2016

Tournament Report - YOTTW 2016 Regional Tournament 2nd April

Hi all, GeoTheBacon here.
In a bid to prove my theory right, I entered a locals' weekly tournament to gather more data about the current meta game, and also compete for the 1st position slot while I am at it, determined to make my D/D/D deck proud.

Date: 020416

Let us get straight to the point then. Today is the first day of YOTTW 2016 Singapore Regional Tournament. There were 8 players who attended, including myself. The format was 3 round Swiss and top 4 cut off. 

And here's the deck break down,


The deck I played was D/D. I was testing a few side deck options to see which will be useful and was messing around to see if tour guide can still be played. I wasn't expecting to win or anything but here's my deck list that I used today for anyone who is interested.
Disclaimer: this deck is not completed yet and is still under testing, I'm still testing it but if you like to use it as a template for yours please do go ahead.


Monsters (22)
3 x D/D Swirl Slime
2 x D/D Necro Slime
2 x D/D Lamia
1 x Tour Guide From the Underworld
1 x Fiendish Rhino
2 x Maxx "C"
1 x D/D/D Doom King Armageddon
3 x D/D/D Oblivion King Abyss Ragnarok
1 x D/D/D Wisdom King Chaos Apocalypse
2 x D/D Savant Newton
3 x D/D Savant Kepler
1 x D/D Orthros


Spell (16)
Trap (2)
Side deck (15)

First Match Up VS Raidraptors 

Round 1 - Win
Losing the dice roll, I went second. Starting with a bad hand, he set one face-down spell/trap and ended his turn. On my turn, I activated Dark Contract with the Gate to search for D/D Orthros to destroy his one and only set card, which turn out to be a Bottomless Trap Hole (glad i made that decision). I followed up with a card destruction to try and find out what he was playing, and he discarded a Raidraptor - Fuzzy Lanius, which granted me that knowledge. I then proceeded to summon 2 D/D/D Oracle King d'Arc and attack him for a total of 5600 worth of damage, following up in main phase 2 to overlay them into Red-Eyes Flare Metal Dragon. Next was his turn, and at the cost of 1000 LP, he manage to get rid of my Red-Eyes Flare Metal Dragon with his Number S39: Utopia the Lightning, however, this left him with 1400 LP, and nothing to protect him. I then proceeded to reduce his life point to 0 in the following turn.

Sided - 2 x Torrential Tribute for 2 x Book of Eclipse as RaidRaptors are known to swarm the field and the best cure to swarming is to blow them up once their combo ends.

Round 2 - Win
After losing the previous round, he started with 4 set spell/traps. Which I proceed to have a hard time with and caused me to regret my decision of not including Royal Decrees in my side deck, but after dragging out and wasting all his resources. I somehow manage to won him.

Conclusion
Raidraptors has a lot of traps to help them drag for time, which is relatively tough to get through if you do not have spell/trap destruction in your deck. This made me wanted to put Royal Decrees into my side deck in the future.

Second Match Up VS Qliphort


Round 1 - Lose
After losing the dice roll, I went second. Fighting against Qliphort after such a long time made me underestimate their trap heavy deck, causing me to lose badly  in game one.

Sided - 1 x D/D/D Wisdom King Chaos Apocalypse for 1 x Dark Contract with Errors to counter their traps and 2 x Torrential Tribute for 2 x Book of Eclipse

Round 2 - Lose
Going first after losing the previous round, I quickly searched for Dark Contract with Errors with my D/D Savant Kepler, hoping to get rid of the threat, and ending with Dark Contract with the Gate and D/D/D Oracle King d'Arc on the field with 3 face downs including Dark Contract with ErrorsTorrential Tribute, and Vanity's Emptiness and an empty hand. This all backfired when he countered with Harpie's Feather Duster to clear my back row, which he follow up with summoning a monster to kill my D/D Savant Kepler and proceeding to end his turn with 4 set cards and an empty hand. Not giving up hope, I drew into Harpie's Feather Duster (oh the irony) and I activated it to destroy his set cards. This in turn made the game into a top draw standoff, ending with me losing thanks to Pot of Duality and Card of Demise.

Conclusion
With the meta slowing down and with the ability to fully utilize Card of Demise allows Qliphort to quickly replenish their resources and mow down their opponents easily. This is definitely a reason for me to consider 3 Royal Decrees instead of 1 Dark Contract with Errors.

Third match up vs Necloth OXO


Round 1 - Win
Losing the dice roll, I had to go second. Fearing i would OTK him, instead of using Nekroz Kaleidoscope to go into Nekroz of Unicore he went into Nekroz of Clausolas using Mist Bird Clausolas as a material(quite fitting if i do say so myself)which i chained Maxx "C" to. And he ended his turn without setting any other cards,

It was my turn, trying to play safe as i don't have enough resources to kill him that turn I summoned D/D Savant Kepler to search for Dark Contract with the Gate to stock up on my resources which in turn gets destroyed by his Ghost Ogre & Snow Rabbit which left me unable to search so i set my Mystical Space Typhoon and Vanity's Emptiness face down hoping it will be enough to stall.

It was his turn again, he starts off with a Mystical Space Typhoon targeting my face down Mystical Space Typhoon to get rid of potential threats, then he proceed to use his ritual spell to try and call on more monsters which was stopped by my Vanity's Emptiness. This resulted in me being able to stall the game.

After gathering what I needed, I then used Book of Eclispe to flip his Nekroz of Clausolas which in turn removes my Vanity's Emptiness and I then proceed to flood the field with D/D/D Oracle King d'ArcD/D/D Oblivion King Abyss Ragnarok, and D/D/D Wisdom King Chaos Apocalypse with the normal summoned D/D Savant Kepler. by using D/D/D Oblivion King Abyss Ragnarok's effect by tributing D/D Savant Kepler i banished his Nekroz of Clausolas, then i dealt a total of 7700 worth of damage, followed with my going into main phase 2 and overlaying D/D/D Wisdom King Chaos Apocalypse and D/D/D Oracle King d'Arc into Red-Eyes Flare Metal Dragon allowing me to win the game.

Sided - 1 x D/D/D Wisdom King Chaos Apocalypse & 1 x D/D Orthros for 2 x D.D. Crow, This was just in case of a long drag out game, and seeing that there wasn't any sign of spell/trap floodgate in his deck.

Round 2 - Lose
Losing in the previous round he manage to lock me out using Djinn Releaser of Rituals which so happened to be in his hand, unable to throw into my Book of Eclispe I lost this round rather lackluster.

Sided - Thinking that he doesn't play any back row I took out my 2 Twin Twister and 1 Harpie's Feather Duster and replaced them with 2 Torrential Tribute and 1 Book of Eclispe. Hoping not to get locked out again.

Round 3 - Win
Losing the previous round I let him go first, and luckily this time he only had Nekroz of Clausolas and a face down card.

I drew the following turn and it was Mystical Space Typhoon my one and only spell/trap removal left in my deck talk about luck huh? I used it on his face down card which turns out to be Mystical Space Typhoon too, this then allowed me to used my Dark Contracts freely, thus winning my game.

Conclusion
It seems that Necloths tend to not run a lot of back row, but they are still a force to be reckon with if they get their hands on their Djinn Releaser of Rituals. and counter measures have to be there to deal with it if that ever happens.

Top 4 Cut Off - Somehow I actually made it into the Top 4 cut, which shocked myself even.

Match 1 VS D/D/D (Mirror Match)

Round 1 - Lose
When i found out who I was against, I was like CRAP i didn't come prepared to fight against a mirror game, he was playing the Speedroid D/D/D variant, which focused on Synchros more and i kinda bricked my hand relatively badly soooooooooooooooooo i lost.

Sided - 2 x Torrential Tribute for 2 x Book of Eclipse cause i was just lazy now and can't be bother to think any more

Round 2- Lose
My deck really likes to troll me sometimes, I bricked again and in irrecoverable way at that with
1 x D/D/D Doom King Armageddon and 3 x D/D/D Oblivion King Abyss Ragnarok (haha) it was impossible to play and so I lost again. Lady luck has indeed abandoned me.

Conclusion
I gotten some good data on how I should remake the deck today, with all the various tech I used today. And it also proves that with enough luck you can make it into the Top 4 with a testing deck.

And thus after typing for 3.5 straight hour I shall sign out here, hope you haved enjoyed reading.

-GeoTheBacon

1 comment:

  1. Nice post! I really enjoyed it. Do you think the DDD synchro version is vialable? I think that the idea is pretty nice and if the deck manages to be shaped 100%, it could do very well in the meta. :)

    ReplyDelete